Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Through the Looking Glass

I haven't had time yet to process all the sketches I did at the convention, but I do have some work from the annual Herron illustration coloring book.

A bit of background: because Herron has no official illustration major, the school does not allot illustration any funds for scholarships. (Most illustration students are General Fine Arts majors, and guess what, that department doesn't get any scholarship funds either, because it's too broad.) So in order for there to be any scholarships at all, we have to raise our own money. The way we do this is by designing and selling a new coloring book every year. The book is based around a single theme.

This year's theme is Through the Looking Glass. I was asked to design the cover and a tailpiece, in addition to my own pages. Last night I was able to finish up most of my pages.

The cover:




The back cover (will have Herron logo and price on final):


My interior page:

 
 
And just for fun, an early sketch of a more contemporary Alice and a few thumbnails (none of which really got used, but that's ok):



No comments:

Post a Comment