Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Update and New Projects

Been in a bit of a funk lately, probably because we're now hitting that mid-semester mark where my teacher's nagging comments begin to drain all will and interest from me for whatever project I happen to be working on at the time.

I finished a rather large (16x20") watercolor piece about a week and a half ago, but I'm not totally satisfied with it, and that's why it's not up online yet. It was an attempt at a more realistic style, but it just didn't quite have the vibrancy I was looking for, and that was discouraging, too. I may yet salvage it with colored pencils, but right now it's sitting on my desk while I figure out what to do with it.

I was also beginning to despair because I wasn't getting much done with my illustration independent project-- I liked the lineart for the piece, but when I started painting it all fell apart, and even colored pencils couldn't do much. I began to realize that watercolor was just not a good media for this project: the paintings were too complex.

So I was quite frustrated, but after thinking about things for a few days, I began to feel better. For one, I sat down last Thursday and did a fantastic drawing for my next watercolor piece, based on an old sketch of my "Four Seasons" kids:


Then over the weekend I was thinking about illustration and said "fuck it." My only goal in re-doing the Mink project was to have several images with consistent characterization to use in a portfolio. But you know what? I can achieve that same goal just by having a series of images of Mink and Puppy playing. It's not like I haven't done a million sketches of that already.

So that's what I did today, and I'm very happy with the results:
 

 

I've got another one half-finished with Mink teaching Puppy to beg.  I'll probably do one or two more as well. I was originally going to do these in watercolor, but I like the detail of the lineart too much to risk losing it with ink, so I think they'll just be digitally colored.

With any luck the first drawing will be finished tomorrow, as it's now mostly done, and then I can move on. I have a few different ideas for what I'll do next, the main one being that I think it's time for more Space Turtle. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment