Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Parallel Parchment Worldbuilding (1)

In the past few weeks I've been working on expanding and developing the setting of the Lost Library, which I originally created for my webcomic Parallel Parchment. It's been an interesting exercise, as I refine some of the older concepts and discover new ones.

Here are a few of the first pages. I've done quite a bit of work since these were scanned, which I will have up later.





There are plenty of notes, which is pretty typical of my brainstorming process, really; a mixture of writing and illustration.

The study started out as an attempt mostly at practicing environments and architecture, as I don't have much in those areas, mostly due to my dislike of complicated perspective. However, the more I've sketched the more obvious it has become that what I'm really enjoying are the character studies, and that doing architecture is a bit like pulling teeth. So for future studies I will be moving in a slightly different direction, doing more to draw scenes, rather than either architecture or characters separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment